Licusati di Camerota (SA) - Cilento - Italy
The town is located in the hills of the southern Cilento area, about 4 km from Camerota, 9.5 km from Marina di Camerota, 10 km from Palinuro and about 80 km from Salerno. It is located on the provincial road of 66 Graft State that connects Licusati-Camerota-Marina. The town is 260 meters above sea level in a pleasant and lush valley nestled between Mount Bulgheria and Mount Cuppa, and can be found in a valley with thousands of olive trees (said Pisciottano), from which we extract an extra virgin from local mills.
Bisognerebbe essere uno scrittore per raccontare Licusati. Io invece sono solo un giornalista ed è difficile che la carta bruta di un quotidiano possa riportare le meravigliose sensazioni che si provano qui. .........Quindi ecco il mio desiderio dei miei prossimi anni: trasferirmi a Palazzo Crocco, dentro le stanze avite che trasudano storia patria, e scrivere come se fossi davvero uno scrittore.Carlo Mercuri "Il Messaggero"
The town’s origins date back to the tenth century in the Middle Ages when the Cilento was a border territory between the province of Greek-Byzantine Calabria Roman Empire of Constantinople in the south and the Lombard Principality of Salerno in the north. The territory was of strategic importance, and remained so for centuries, particularly as seen at the time of the War of the Sicilian Vespers (1282-1302) when the Cilento was the battle front for the army of knights and infantry between Calabria and Salerno.
The Italo-greek Cenobio of San Pietro (current cemetery) that dates back to the year 1000 are of particular interest; Ruins of Castle Montelmo (called Castelluccio); the Sanctuary of Maria SS. Annunziata; the Parish Church of San Marco and the Palazzi Crocco and Sofia.
National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano and Alburni
The Cilento and Vallo di Diano Alburni National Park, the second largest park in Italy in size, stretching from the Tyrrhenian coast to the foot of the Campania-Lucania, including the tops of Alburni, Cervati and Gelbison and the coastal buttresses of Mount Bulgheria and Mount Stella. The extraordinary wildlife, due to the considerable heterogeneity of the territory, alongside the mythical and mysterious character of a land is rich in history and culture: from the beaches where Palinuro left Enea, to the ruins of the Greek colonies of Elea and Paestum, to the beautiful Certosa di Padula, and the call of the nymph Leucosia. The National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano preserves a priceless heritage dating back thousands of years, which showcase harmonious interactions between nature and man-made sights. This harmonic integration between Nature and High Culture has transformed the territory of the protected area in a complex biogeographic: Greek cities and ancient historical centers, old-growth abbeys, castles, fortresses and farmhouses are set in an unspoiled natural landscape, rich in rare plants and animals, majestic forests that are cared for by painstaking hand of man, and natural caves that serve as a testimony of our Paleolithic ancestors. The park is located on the center of the Mediterranean, a sea that embodies a deeper richness in terms of biodiversity. This speaks to the encounter between sea and mountains, East and West, northern cultures and African cultures.
The National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano Alburni, therefore, offers an extreme variety of landscapes: in a few minutes you can go from the sandy beaches to high mountains, through valleys surrounding cliffs, plateaus cloaked brooms, pastures remote, original forests, massive limestone shaped by water in significant karst, rivers flowing in gorges, vast areas where the sparse population allows for the survival of species already extinct in other parts of the Apennines, such as the otter, wolf, bat, wild cat, marten, hare, the partridge, the golden eagle, the crayfish, as well as numerous amphibians. The variety of landscapes makes rich flora present in the park, over 2000 species, 10 percent of which are of endemic and rare species. The best known of which, the Palinuro Primrose (Primula palinuri), was chosen as a symbol of the National Park.
The Mediterranean thrives in a blaze of strawberry trees, carob trees, oaks, juniper, myrtle, mountain slopes and large beech forests. Considering beautiful landscapes we cannot fail to mention the Caves of Castelcivita of 5400 meters; the underground systems are one of the largest in the region of Campania and Southern Italy and is a true natural laboratory with active underground environments populated by spiders and bats. With the passing of the centuries, the dripping water has created fantastic limestone structures of various shapes such as stalactites and stalagmites. In the past, the caves have had several names such as Grotte del Ponte del Diavolo, Spartacus, which were often linked to ancient legends and stories. The caves of Cape Palinuro are also worth seeing! Palinuro is a picturesque promontory mostly overlooking the sea with some flattened areas lapping the surface of the sea; its perimeter is outlined by massive rock walls that from heights in some places more than 200 meters above sea level, which continues below the surface of the sea for about 50 meters with unobstructed walls. Among these marvels, the best known, and also the most visited, is the "Blue Grotto", 85 meters long and 90 wide, which is found at the Cala Guarracini and crosses the northern part of Cape Palinuro. Characterized by a turquoise load resulting from the refraction of sunlight filtering through an opening in depth, paints these rich lava rock walls and alabaster columns.
We must consider, then, the Caves at the site of Mount Stella and Mount Gelbison. The origin of the Caves of Perth is traced back some 35 million years ago. They are the most important in the South, and the only ones to be crossed by an underground river, the Tanagro or Negro. Wedged for about 3000 meters below the Alburni, the Caves meander through a striking series of tunnels and caverns. THE Monte Stella is a natural area of extraordinary merit and was an extraordinary outpost for the people of Cilento and today is also a trip excursion center of great caliber. There are, in fact, less than 13 paths that connect a large number of villages. The Monte Gelbison is, on the other hand, the imposing Sanctuary of the Madonna di Novi, that besides being one of the most visited of Campania, is a place of extraordinary historical value dating back to the tenth century. A.D. It was, in fact, founded by the Basilian monks and since then has retained a unparalleled sacredness. Lastly, there are the Risorgiva Bussento and OASI WWF and Waterfalls Hair of Venus at Casaletto Spartan. The Bussento river that comes from the southern slope of Mount Cervati, near Caselle in Pittari sinks into a huge chasm only to reappear, after completing its journey into the bowels of the earth, only a few miles to the south, which is below the village of Morigerati . The entire area offers one of the most beautiful and most attractive landscapes of the Park. The walk starts at Morigerati with a beautiful stone-paved trail leading to the entrance of the cave. "The Capello” is undoubtedly the most representative place of Casaletto. This resort is part of a complex “sorgitivo” characterized by a high environmental value. The town is named after the waterfall "Hair of Venus" which was derived from the luxuriant growth of the plant Maidenhair. In the vicinity of the river is also a well-preserved mill and an old ruin called "Sorgitore", which allows the diversion of water from the source that originates at the location. In this way, a part of the water feeds into the mill with the remainder funneling into the river. The Capello also has a number of internal routes that allow you to visit various scenic places that the river creates along its path.
Paestum and Velia, former colonies of Magna Grecia attract tourists from all over the world. Paestum was founded in the late seventh century. B.C. with the name of Poseidon (Poseidon, the god of the sea) and assumed its current name under the rule of the Romans. The size and power of Paestum mandates that we observe its magnificent and majestic temples: the Temple of Hera (improperly called Basilica), the oldest in the city, the Temple of Neptune (or Poseidon), the largest and best preserved, and the Temple Ceres (we assume it was dedicated to Athena after the discovery of several statues). Velia was founded by the Phocians and was the home of the famous philosophical school of Parmenides and Zeno. The Great Archaeological Area includes the Porta Rosa, the Maritime Quarter and the Baths' Acropolis. We cannot fail to also mention the Certosa di San Lorenzo in Padula. The Charterhouse of San Lorenzo, also known as Certosa di Padula, is the biggest monastery in Italy and among the most famous. The construction, which began at the behest of Thomas Sanseverino in 1306, lasted until the 1700s. From the atrium, characterized by the large Baroque facade, you can pass by the stables, garages, the pharmacy, the wineries, and the church up to the porch where there are Carthusians neighborhoods. The Charterhouse houses the Archaeological Museum of Western Lucania and the permanent exhibition "La Certosa di Padula, which is in the book of Thomas Salmon of 1763 and in the cartography of the eighteenth century." We have sought to outline the sites you cannot miss if you want to fully experience the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano and Alburni, but there are as many as 80 municipalities that make up the park and contribute to its natural beauty and historical significance. There are many other sites worth seeing such as the Marine Protected Area of Castellabate, Gorges of Heat in Felixstowe, the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art of the Vallo di Diano, the Ethnographic Museum of Morigerati and many other beauties waiting to be discovered!!!!